Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Connectivism

Way back in the day I was a philosophy major in undergrad. While I have forgotten most of the details of the modern epistemology debate one thing does get remembered: any theory that attempts to explain how knowledge is defined, acquired, and disseminated is bound to be contested by other rival theories (many seem as credible). I remember leaving that debate no more certain about the "Truth" (notice the capital "T") than when I entered it, but I do recall feeling that regardless of what was really the case, some theories seem to correspond better with my intuition than others.

This discussion of learning theory seems to be parallel to this. No one strong theory is likely to be found correct in an absolute sense, but some theories are bound to seem more valuable than others. As a high school teacher, I agree with the notion that it is more important that I teach my kids how to learn, than it is to teach them a set of static facts. One method inspires a lifelong skill set for helping students find what they need, the other runs the risk of being outdated and useless.

I need to meditate more about this before writing more...

1 comment:

Come and See Africa said...

I saw you posted this week's assignment on your wiki site. Did you discover wiki and blog are different, and you can organize materials differently?