Friday, February 22, 2008

Macworld Web 2.0 Reaction: AJAX Rocks

Of all the technologies brought up during the presentation I was most intrigued by the AJAX solution. I am interested in this because I teach Web Design. One of the topics we spend a lot of time on is hand-coding HTML pages. I like teaching this topic because it allows students to get under the hood and explore how graphical interfaces look on the inside. Dreamweaver is great but it doesn't serve to debunk the myth that all computer design is graphical in nature.

AJAX will give my kids a chance to jazz up the interactivity of their pages without doing too much heavy lifting. I want my kids to learn JavaScript but a full course would leave many in the dust. By tinkering with JavaScript via AJAX, I think it would be a good complement to the existing HTML curriculum. Of course, AJAX may not be the best of breed, and I would be wise to shop around, but it looks like a great starting point.

2 comments:

Come and See Africa said...

Do you think we (our department) should teach AJAX?

Yu-Fen said...

Yes. I think it will be awesome.